University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
The Molecular Glycobiology group at the Universität für Bodenkultur Wien (BOKU; University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna) is led by Dr. Iain Wilson and focuses on the structural, enzymatic and biosynthetic aspects of glycomic variation between organisms, especially invertebrates and protists, including parasites.
Other than being a member of Glycopar, the primary funding source is the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and currently Dr. Wilson holds three FWF grants; another three junior scientists (Drs. Katharina Paschinger, Alba Hykollari and Martin Dragosits) are independently funded with the status of FWF Fellows. A major technique is ‘off-line’ LC-MS using the latest HPLC technology in conjunction with MALDI-TOF MS/MS; also use of mutant worm and slime mould strains, recombinant expression of glycosylation-related enzymes and detection of glycosidase/glycosyltransferase activities are important for revealing the types of, and basis for, the huge variety of N-glycans found in eukaryotes.
1. Schiller B, Hykollari A, Yan S, Paschinger K and Wilson IBH (2012) Complicated N-linked glycans in simple organisms. Biol. Chem. (Hoppe-Seyler) 393, 661–673. Review (doi: 10.1515/hsz-2012-0150)
2. Yan S, Bleuler-Martinez S, Plaza Gutierrez DF, Künzler M, Aebi M, Joachim A, Razzazi-Fazeli E, Jantsch V, Geyer R, Wilson IBH, and Paschinger K (2012) Galactosylated fucose epitopes in nematodes: increased expression in a Caenorhabditis mutant associated with altered lectin sensitivity and occurrence in parasitic species. J. Biol. Chem. 287: 28276–28290 (doi: 10.1074/jbc.M112.353128)
3. Schiller B, Makrypidi G, Razzazi-Fazeli E, Paschinger K, Walochnik J and Wilson IBH* (2012) Exploring the unique N-glycome of the opportunistic human pathogen Acanthamoeba. J. Biol. Chem. 287: 43191-43204 (doi: 10.1074/jbc.M112.418095)
4. Hykollari A, Balog CIA, Rendić D, Braulke T, Wilson IBH* and Paschinger K (2013) Mass spectrometric analysis of neutral and anionic N-glycans from a Dictyostelium discoideum model for human congenital disorder of glycosylation CDG IL. J. Proteome Res. 12, 1173−1187 (doi: 10.1021/pr300806b)
5. Yan S, Serna, S, Reichardt N-C, Paschinger K and Wilson IBH (2013) Array-assisted characterisation of a fucosyltransferase required for the biosynthesis of complex core modifications of nematode N-glycans. J. Biol. Chem. 288, 21015–21028 (doi:10.1074/jbc.M113.479147)
6. Kurz S, Jin C, Hykollari A, Gregorich D, Giomarelli B, Vasta GR, Wilson IBH and Paschinger K (2013) Haemocytes and plasma of the eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) display a diverse repertoire of sulphated and blood group A-modified N-glycans. J. Biol. Chem. 288, 24410–24428 (doi: 10.1074/jbc.M113.478933)